The Problem with a Long, Vertical Painting.

My friend Jean paints a lot of vertical pictures so I thought I'd have a go.
But I found out that the problem with a long vertical painting is that you've never got the whole of the image in your sight at once.
Eyes don't see up and down, they do side to side, we see in landscape format, not portrait.
I struggled a bit with this picture, well I struggle with every picture really.
It all became clearer however when I took it out the studio and put it outside, and then it seemed to make sense.

Mary Kemp- Quay at Brancaster Staithe



It's oil on canvas, heavy relying on a combo of Venetian Red and Ultramarine Violet.
It doesn't sit happily on the page though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...