Why Drawing is Important

Mary Kemp - Drawing of a Field.
If you're a visual artist one of the crucial tools at your disposal is the ability to draw. Not all visual disciplines require you to draw well, but it's useful to get information down on the page, to work out your ideas and plan what your finished art work is to be.
I think of myself as a painter, and if I carry on painting without doing much drawing, all of a sudden I come up against a brick wall, fresh out of ideas and can't get things to look how they ought to look. And now I know it's time to get back to the drawing board.
So yesterday morning the sun shone, I went out into the countryside and drew a field.
 For this I used my eight inch square spiral bound sketch book, various pens, two of which ran out of ink, but the brown one kept going, and a selection of Derwent Coloursoft pencils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...