This blog is moving!
At last I have discovered a way to have my website and blog all in one place.
So from now on all new blog posts will be on my new website.
I'm still writing about the same sort of things, and you can still find the old posts on this page.

Monday, 9 December 2013

Priming MDF with Gesso.

If truth were told my favourite surface to paint on is board. I like the resistance of a solid surface and the smoothness and ability to create your own texture. Canvas always seems to give me bumps where I don't want them and the texture from it can be quite a feature. Of course sometimes that great but not always.
Windsor and Newton Acrylic White Gesso
I've been asked to paint a largish painting of a family group at the seaside so I've had my piece of board cut and I've primed it with gesso. I lightly sanded down, wiped carefully then put on 3 coats, probably only needed 2, allowing it to dry between each coat.
When it comes to priming there are all sorts of options. I have been known to use house emulsion but it's not recommended. Usually I look in the art shop or online for a bargain in gesso on the principle that there can't be much difference in a pot of gesso, but I've learnt there is. Some are quite watery, some have lots of texture, which I don't like, and some are horribly shiny. The last pot I had was very good but I threw the container away and forgot to take note.
So this time I bought a large pot of artists acrylic gesso from Windsor and Newton , maximum cover, suitable for both oil and acrylic, and it goes on a dream. It's smooth and beautifully white.
Today I start painting on it. The sun is now up so down to the studio I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment