How Do You Describe Your Art?

How do you describe your art?
Do you have difficulty putting words to what you do?
For some of us visual artists words don't come easily, yet when people ask us about our art we usually have to reply in words, not our preferred way of communicating, pictures.
So it is useful to have a few well chosen phrases in hand when someone utters the dreaded words  "So you're an artist ! What do you do?"
Mary Kemp.
Detail of Boat Awaiting Restoration.
oil on board 30 x 30 
I must admit this question often caught me out , and after much mumbling and muttering I'd produce sentences that consisted mainly of "sort of" , "like", "you know", and "stuff".  "kind of". This was not very professional, and told people, possibly potential clients, absolutely nothing.

So here is my solution.



  • Describe your style.
  • Describe your medium.
  • Describe your subject.
This leads to
" I am a moderately contemporary artist who usually works in oils. I paint family beach scenes, boats and landscapes."
How do you describe yourself ?
All comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...