Royal Academy Summer Exhibition Online Entry Process.

2014 sees the Royal Academy putting it's selection process for the Summer Exhibition online for the first time. At least as far as 2D and sculpture is concerned, the architecture part has already got there.
It is estimated that this will double the potential entry although numbers are capped at 12,000. Click here for the link.
The aim of putting it online is to make it easier all round, so that we artists don't have to transport work in and out of London unnecessarily, and the Royal Academy can do the first cut on the computer from digital images.
Of course if your work gets past the first cull there is by no means any guarantee it will get selected as they will shortlist up to 4,000 works to be delivered to the Academy for the second round.
This is a first for me too, as I have never entered the Summer Exhibition before, I've visited many a time, but each year I've said I might give it a try and then never got round to it, so making the first round a digital selection was just the encouragement I needed.
This is how I got on so far:
Before the entry date I registered on the Royal Academy website for an email to tell me when the entry forms went on sale.
On Monday 6th the email arrived, and later that day I went to the website and set up my registration, an easy process, and now I was ready to purchase my entry form which would cost £25.00 for one work, £50 for two. I opted for one. But the ability to purchase was down ( too many eager artists possibly?) so I had to wait until later on Tuesday when it all went through quite easily.
Next is to upload up to 3 images of my chosen artwork, which must be one of the whole artwork, and the others either detail or of it framed. I'm just dithering about the frame at the moment. We have until Valentine's day to complete the form.
Has any one else completed the online entry? let me know how you're getting on with it if you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...