Seduced by Acrylic Paint.

There I go again! I've been seduced by acrylics for the umpteenth time.
It happens every so often. I think "Why am  I using oils colours?

  • They're messy.
  • They're expensive
  • And they take forever to dry".
So off I go and paint something using acrylic paint.

Here's my latest picture. 
Mary Kemp.Boats in Galicia.
Acrylic on board 40 x 30 cm.
I was attracted to the bright day
and the strong colours,
so typical of Spain.


Of course I like the colours, which were bright and bold, but I struggle to get the paint to lie as I want it to. It feels sticky, and the surface seems to me to be lacklustre, and although I have difficulty telling the difference between other people's oils and their acrylics , with my own the difference is obvious. I feel I can express myself better with oils.


  • Acrylics are hasty to dry and blend clumsily on the canvas.
  • They stick to your equipment.
  • They're not as classy as oils.
And yet.....

  • This picture took less time to complete, giving it more immediacy.
  • I can layer colours without needing to wait 2 days.
So on balance?
Speed and immediacy for acrylics.
Time to craft your painting, and  the indefineable charm of oil paints.

No contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...