What To Wear When Creating That Masterpiece.

So what do you wear when creating that masterpiece?
Here's my take on the problem.
I'm an oil painter, and a pretty messy one at that.
And unless I want to end up with a wardrobe full of paint splattered clothes I've got to cover up.
Of course inevitably there's  been a few inadvertent brushes with paintings, and my heavy duty winter coat bears traces of cerulean blue after a late night foray into the studio to put on one last stroke of paint before bed.
To prevent all that this is what I put on before venturing into the studio.
But before I settled on my outfit it had to satisfy a few criteria.

.It had to cover everything so I can wear everyday clothes underneath, except in really hot weather.
2. Had to be washable.
3. Must have pockets.
4. Must look the business- frilly just will not do.
Here's me at my most glamorous!

So I wear.

  1. A pair of walking trousers  from an outdoors clothing shop.
  2. A thick cotton artist's smock with capacious pockets.
  3. Old shoes.
  4. Vinyl gloves to protect my delicate hands.

What to do if you get paint on your clothes.
TREAT IMMEDIATELY!
Oil paint: lift off as much as you can , then dilute with turps. Wash as usual.
Acrylic: lift off straight away, flood with water, then wash with something like Vanish.
I will buy a new smock soon. There's way too much paint on this one. It could stand up on it's own. The last smock I got on a painting weekend at Martin Kinnear's wonderful painting school. It's certainly the business!
Now you've read my solution as to what to wear when creating a masterpiece, it's your turn to tell me how you keep the paint at bay.
Comments box below!







No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...