The Talent Myth.

I don't think I'm old but there are definitely a few things I wish I'd known when I was younger.
And one of the most important surrounds :
The talent myth:
 
I used to think you either had some mysterious gift for art or you didn't and nothing ever would change that.
While my dad banged on about 5% inspiration 95% perspiration I was young and didn't believe him.
What I didn't cotton onto until much later was the fact that it takes about 10,000 hours to truly master a skill, be it either brain surgery, plumbing or painting. This equates to roughly 7 years of work, which just happens to be the time it takes to complete an old fashioned apprenticeship.
There are so many things to learn in the art world whether consciously or by quiet assimilation, such things as control of your mediums, drawing, composition, colour balance or imbalance, and the all important marketing.
These important things don't jump unbidden into your brain. You have to be actively taught or else go out and seek the information yourself.
I guess what I'm really trying to say is I don't believe there is such a thing as talent, just a desire to follow a subject and a lot of hard work.
"Shelfie" of sketch books.
And there's more, several boxes more.
Practice, practice, practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...