For a Cat Person I Seem To Be Very Fond of Dogs.

Yes I am a cat person I admit. We've owned a lot of cats over the years. Not all at once. I can even tell you some of their names. (Don't worry I don't use them for online passwords)

The first one was Mr. Spock, then I think there was a Simon and Smokey. After that came Rusty and Tabby. There was Suzy too, a very independent lady.  Finally came Ginger and Zebra although during their time Bertie (a girl) adopted us too.
This is the stately Bertie
who's not as gentle as she looks.

So yes we've had our fair share of cats, but we've never owned a dog.

So it came as a bit of a shock to me then when my son's family welcomed a lively border collie into their home.

Think of all that food, all that walking!








Grace, their lovely border collie, quickly filled the house with her presence, and it became apparent that this was where she was meant to be. She's just another member of the family.

I'd never realised what great companions dogs could be. I'm beginning to think I should have gone down the dog route but too late really.

Grace is about about seven years old now, although memories are a bit fuzzy as to her actual age.

She's featured a lot in my paintings, but what I can't convey as she scampers across a beach is the warmth and comfort of her physical presence, almost like another human being but much more tolerant.

mary kemp painting of border collie
© Mary Kemp
Grace the Border Collie
Encounters a Wave
 Other dogs have crept into my paintings too.

At the moment I'm working on a painting of a whippet at sunset.

Keep following this blog to see more of my paintings or sign up to my newsletter to see what's hot off the easel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...