International Women's Day and Aunt Gladys

It's International Women's Day today, 8th March.


I remember that date particularly because it's the same date as my husband's Auntie Gladys's birthday. Whilst she claimed not to be  a "women's libber"she  sure stuck up for her rights in the times when you needed a man's signature just to get a  mortgage.
Gladys was a larger than life character who worked for the BBC as a continuity engineer, the only woman I knew back then who was called an engineer. But of course the main thing I remember about her was that she was kind and helped me greatly when my children were young.
So every time I think of strong women I think of Auntie Gladys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...